Citrus-Fruit Sangria with Lavender
Sangria is the perfect warm weather drink and is even more delicious with a hint of lavender! Try out this great recipe for a unique twist on a summertime favorite!
- 3/4 cup bottled pomegranate juice (we used cranberry pomegranate)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Lavender Hill Farm Honey
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Dried Culinary Lavender Buds
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec or peach schnapps
- Strained juice of 1 small lemon and 1 small orange
- 2 cups ice cubes, plus more if desired
- 1 (750mL) bottle light, fruity, white wine such as Riesling or Pinot Grigio
- 1 1/2 cups well-chilled apple juice or sparkling apple cider
- 6 to 8 orange slices for garnish
- Sprigs of fresh or dried lavender for garnish
Combine the pomegranate juice and honey in a small non-reactive saucepan. Bring almost to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the honey dissolves. Remove from the heat; stir in the lavender buds, Triple Sec (or peach schnapps), lemon juice, and orange juice. Let stand to steep at least 1/2 hour, or cover and refrigerate, tasting for lavender flavor, for up to 12 hours.
Strain the pomegranate mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large pitcher; press down to force through as much of the juice as possible. Stir in 2 cups of ice, then the wine, apple juice (or sparkling apple cider), orange slices, and lavender sprigs. Stir lightly, then serve immediately. Makes 1 1/2 quarts, 8 (6-ounce) servings.
If you’ll be steeping the lavender in the pomegranate juice for only a half hour, use 4 tablespoons. If you have time to let the mixture stand and infuse in the refrigerator overnight, reduce the lavender buds by half, otherwise the lavender flavor will become too intense.